The Cuillin Ridge Traverse
Isle of Skye
Looking down the West Ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean to Am Bastier and Bruach na Frith, further along the ridge.
Mark Anderson coll, 1998
The Cuillin Ridge Traverse is probably the best mountaineering expedition in Britain.
The ridge is normally tackled from south to north, starting from Glen Brittle and finishing on Sgurr nan Gillean, with a complete traverse should also encompassing the impressive Bla Bhienn-Clach Ghlass traverse.
A full traverse of the ridge takes normal people two days in summer, though I believe the record for the traverse of the main ridge is something like 8 hours! - for the rest of us a bivvy on the ridge is normally the order of the day.
Highlights of the traverse should include:
- Views of the ridge & Loch Coruisk
- Climbing the Inaccessible Pinnacle (taking the fin or course!)
- The round of Coire Lagan [and a visit to the Chioch if you have time]
- The Tooth on Am Bastier (Naismith's route)
- The NE Ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean
- BlaBhienn - Clach Glass traverse
- Several large and well dreserved drinks at the SLigachan Hotel.