Safety in the Mountains and on the Crag
This section of the archive is likely to be mostly a collection of links to other sites but we will endeavour to have our own stuff here too. As with all pages in the archive you are advised to read our disclaimer as we cannot take any responsibility for the content of these articles, nor are we medically qualified. As always you need to remember that climbing is a risk sport!
We have a page giving a brief summary of Mountain Rescue services in Scotland.
Articles and Links
- Snowholing: how to dig an emergency shelter.
- When to use a double rope and why.
- Best practices for safer abseiling (BMC article).
- Acclimatisation - a great article on Steve Pardoe's site.
- Climbing Solo - when is it appropriate?
- Fall Factor - what you need to know.
- What stuff do I need to go hillwalking?
To begin with we are reproducing some leaflets that were produced by Ian Roy for Boots Across Scotland - these were mostly only available as photocopied leaflets but with permission from Boots we are please to offer them here.
- Safety / First Aid on the Hill Leaflets, © Ian Roy 1990-2002.
Thanks to Boots Across Scotland